The Chadron Record newspaper has been around for a long time. Originally known as the Dawes County Journal (that does have a familiar ring to it!) the paper was founded by E. E. (Ed) Egan shortly after he arrived in Chadron back in 1884.
Of course, lots of other folks ran the newspaper over the years, including Maurice Van Newkirk, Don Huls, and many others. But this time we offer you a bit about George C. Snow, the fellow who bought the old Journal newspaper from Ed Egan, and who probably had as distinguished career as any of the green eyeshade folks.
|George C. Snow|
A native of Illinois, Snow served as publisher and editor of the paper for many years. He is mentioned several times in the Chadron Centennial History published in 1985. We found this photo and the following biographical sketch in the 1921 publication History of Western Nebraska and Its People.
Edited by Grant Shumway of Scottsbluff, it includes biographies, photos, and additional information about people and places in 11 panhandle counties. It reads...
GEORGE C. SNOW, editor and proprietor of the Chadron Journal, and a member of the Nebraska State Legislature, worthily occupies a position of great prominence in the state. He has been the recipient of many honors, both political and personal, in his long career, and his fellow citizens have frequently testified to their sincere esteem. Many have known him longest and best in the field of journalism, for Mr. Snow is the oldest editor, in point of service, in this part of the country.
George C. Snow was born in De Kalb county, Illinois, March 5, 1874. His parents are Rev. Beecher O. and Stella (Lyon) Snow, natives of New York, born in 1853 and 1854 respectively. They now reside at Milwaukee, Wisconsin, the father being a retired minister of the Congregational church, for twenty years having served as Home Missionary Pastor for Nebraska. Of his four children, George C. is the only one living at Chadron. At Franklin Academy and Doane College in Nebraska, Mr. Snow pursued his studies until early manhood, then accepted the superintendency of a Congregational academy at Snohomish, Washington; going from there to Eureka, Kansas, and then came to Chadron, Nebraska.